William Butterfield in Cumbria
William Butterfield (1814-1900) was the son of a London chemist. He was a pupil of E.L.Blackburne from 1833-1836, and set up his own practice in 1840.
His style was High-Church Gothic-Revivalist.From 1842 he was involved with the Cambridge Camden Society, later The Ecclesiological Society, contributing designs to their journal ‘The Ecclesiologist’.
His earliest church design of importance was for Coalpit Heath (1844). This was followed by St Augustine’s College, Canterbury.
His finest building is possibly All Saints Church, Margaret Street, London (1849-59), a composition of red brick with ancilliary buildings on three sides of a small courtyard, and with lavish interior decoration of marble and polychrome tile work.
Nearly all his work was ecclesiastical, apart from that for schools and colleges (Rugby School and Keble College Oxford), and the Winchester County Hospital.
He was awarded the RIBA Gold Medal in 1884.
|Cautley – St Mark’s Church||1847|
|Lamplugh – St Michael’s Church||1870|
|St Bees – St Bega’s Priory||1855|
|Brigham – St Bridget’s Church||1864|
Related Links :
Go to Menu :