Whitehaven – St Begh’s Church
Coach Road, Whitehaven
St Begh’s Church was designed by E.W. Pugin. It has unusual white sandstone walls , with a red sandstone dressing, and dates from around 1868. It is built in the Gothic style, and consists of chancel, nave, and side aisles.
The lofty open timbered roof, and the beautiful proportion existing between the various dimensions, give the interior the appearance of extreme lightness and elegance. Perhaps the most noticeable feature of the church is the elaborately carved and gilt altar and reredos standing within the apse-shaped chancel. The floor of this portion of the church is of dark polished oak. On each side of the sanctuary is a small oratory chapel. The chancel is lighted by three beautiful stained-glass windows; the centre one bears a representation of the Crucifixion, and the others are rich in ecclesiastical symbolism. Two mural figures of the patron saints Begh and Gregory adorn the walls of the sanctuary. The aisles are divided into four bays by elegant arches resting upon octagonal columns.
Related Links :
Go to Menu :