Grid Ref : NY 135442
Houses and cottages dating from the 19th century are arranged along the road running through the village. The oldest building is Yew Tree Farm, dated 1672. Excavations for new houses have revealed the path of a Roman road and the remains of a Roman fort.
In 1856 a native of the village John Todd, a Manchester merchant, provided funds for the building of St Mathew’s church, vicarage, school and four almshouses. At the western end of the village (bottom of photograph) once stood a castle or manor house but now only ground markings in the grassy field gives evidence of former days.