Millom castle was built by Godard de Boyvil who was in possession of the first manor of Millom. The Lordship of Millom at this time, was such a senior position, that it had complete jurisdictional independence, meaning that sheriff of the county could not enter the castle uninvited!
The castle later passed to the Huddleston family after the last de Boyvil died with no male heir. The castle saw action during the English Civil War, and was badly damaged in a one canon attack in 1648.
The castle is in a pretty poor state of repair, with not much of the interior still standing, and only ruinous walls remaining. The central pele tower stood to a grand 4 storeys, with walls around 7 feet thick in places.
Licence to crennelate was granted in 1335. The remains now incorporate a 16th century farm house in the centre of the ruins. The castle is a moated site, with only slight remains of these earthworks to two sides of the remains. The castle backs onto the 12th century Holy Trinity Church.
Photos and article by Matthew Emmott.
Go to Menu :