Ennerdale Water is the most westerly of the lakes, and the most remote, so it offers, even in high season, a place to escape. It is the only lake that does not have a road running alongside it.
The Ennerdale valley, around Ennerdale Lake, contains one of the largest forests in Cumbria, and has more than 20 miles of forest road, and many other paths open to the public.
Ennerdale Bridge village is only a short distance from the West Cumbria Cyclepath from Whitehaven to Rowrah, which continues along minor roads towards Ennerdale.
Wainwright‘s Coast to Coast Walk, starts at St Bees, and travels through Cleator before reaching Ennerdale Bridge, so the village with its two pubs and a village shop is a popular stopping off point on the route.
The church of St Mary was built on the site of a medieval chapel between 1856 and 1858.
The fell road from Ennerdale Bridge to Calder Bridge passes within a few metres of the small but impressive Kinniside Stone Circle, and continuing along this fell road, one can park and walks to the ancient Monks Bridge packhorse bridge.