Location : Egremont
Grid Ref : NY 009102
The present castle was built by William de Meschines about 1130-1140, but there was an earlier Norman mound near this site. Further additions were made in the 13th century. In the 16th century there was an attempt to put Mary Queen of Scots on the Throne, and several northern nobles took part. Eight years later the castle was reported to be ruined and decayed.
The castle stands on a mound above the River Ehen. The ditches are well preserved. Part of the wall and the gatehouse are in a reasonable state of repair. The massive wall at the end of the outer bailey was part of the Great Hall.
Access at any time. The castle is on public land.
Related Links :
- Local Heritage Initiative – what the archaeologists say.
- Egremont Medieval Festival – The History of Egremont and the Castle
- History of the castle