Corney – St John’s Church
This little Church,a at a height of 600 feet above sea level, stands high on a ridge beween the coast from Waberthwaite to Bootle, and the slopes of Corney and Birkby Fells. It was probably built some time in the 12th Century, and serves mainly farming families.
There is a sundial dated 1822 in the churchyard, the gift of Edward Troughton, Corney’s most famous son. Born in 1753, he went to London to seek his fortune, and became famous for his work on scientific instruments, especially sextants and naval theodolites.
A comprehensive Church leaflet gives further information on the Church, and the history, geology and natural history of the area.
Go to Menu :