Cleator Moor – Wath Brow Mission Church
Location: Cleator Moor
Grid Ref : NY 028145
Once a daughter church to St John’s church in Cleator Moor, Wath Brow Mission Church was originally a Wesleyan Chapel that was pulled down at another site and re-erected at Wath Brow with the addition of a substantial tower and ‘spiret’. The church seated about 300 persons. It was licenced for divine worship on 24th November 1881 by the Lord Bishop of Carlisle. (Rt Revd Harvey Goodwin)
This little church, along with many other scenes in Cleator Moor, was painted by L.S. Lowry in 1948. The artist was friendly with Geoffrey Bennett who worked in Lancashire with Lowrey’s cousin. Bennett became manager of the Cleator Moor Westminster Bank, and Lowrey visited him here, and later in Carlisle when he became an Anglican Clergyman there.
The building is now a private house.
Related Links :
- Telegraph – Lowry church for sale – for cheaper than painting
- BBC Cumbria – video – Auction sale for Lowry Church
Go to Menu :