Grid Ref : SD 487860
Levens is a small residential village south of Kendal overlooking fields and the A590. It has good views of the southern fells, and a pleasant church – St John’s.
The church occupies a position overlooking the Lythe Valley, with one of the best views of the village being from the graveyard. At the back of the church are three cast-iron bells, hanging in a low slate-roofed shelter. They have no clappers, so don’t disturb the neighbours!
Levens is most famous for Levens Hall, a fine Elizabethan mansion which stands in magnificent grounds a short distance from Levens Bridge. The hall is renowned for its topiary gardens.
On the route from Levens to Kendal is Sizergh Castle, the family home of the Stricklands. This began life as a pele tower, built in 1340, and the largest tower in Cumbria still standing. It has attractive grounds, and fine furniture and carvings inside the house. It is owned by the National Trust.