The Leven Viaduct

Leven Viaduct
The Leven Viaduct, between Ulverston and Grange-over-Sands on the Furness Peninsula in south west Cumbria, carries the Carnforth to Barrow section of the Furness railway over the River Leven estuary.
 
The 49 span, 480 metre (0.3 miles) viaduct was originally constructed in 1848 to 1857 and reconstructed in wrought iron in 1880. The tracks were set at a height of 7.9m above water level.
 
The viaduct was widened to accommodate twin tracks in 1863, and major repairs were carriedout in 1915. These included replacement of the original deck and the encapsulation, in brickwork and concrete, of the original cast iron piers which had deteriorated.
 
The viaduct is included within the limits of a site of special scientific interest, a special conservation area and protected bird areas.
 
A causeway was built along the alignment of the viaduct and used to construct the original viaduct. The remains of that causeway can still be seen today.
 
Leven Viaduct
The River Leven is an eight mile long river which drains the southern end of Windermere flowing to the northern reaches of Morecambe Bay. The River Leven estuary is tidal.
 

 
Go to Menu :

stats