Kendal – Yard 83 – Dr Manning’s Yard
In the house at the top of yard 83 George Braithwaite, dyer, established a drysalter’s business in 1713 supplying dyestuffs, alum, fuller’s earth and other technical materials to the local textile trade.
Down the yard were workers’ cottages, the counting house or office over the archway, a ropewalk, a weaving shed and a dyehouse.
The family were noted Quakers and philanthropists and set up a soup kitchen in the ‘Hungry Forties’ and a School of Industry for poor children.
Dr Manning practiced here for many years in the early 1900’s.
Photos by Matthew Emmott.
Go to Menu :