Kendal – Sepulchre Lane
Sepulchre Lane lies on the boundary of a medieval chapel close, which was built next to a pele tower. Neither the chapel or the pele tower remain. The burial ground on which the small park is now built on, was bought in 1656 by the Kendal Quakers.
It was extended to accommodate burials from Underbarrow Quakers chapter when their own burial ground was ploughed up be a renegade member. It was closed to burials in 1855. In 1863 the graves were levelled and part of the burial ground was made into gardens.
Photos by Matthew Emmott.
Go to Menu :