Kendal – Nobles Rest
Nobles Rest public park is situated at the end of Maude Street, and is used a great deal by local workers at lunch times, for picnics by families and some public functions. There are magnificent trees and floral beds, a scented garden, wild flower meadow and grass maze.
The park was donated by Mary Ellen Noble in 1929, as a place for the aged and the young to enjoy. It was created to commemorate her husband, local surgeon Samuel Clarke Noble. Mrs Noble also donated a park keepers cottage/bungalow for the upkeep of the park, although this is now derelict.
In the corner of the park, the Rotary Club of Kendal South Westmorland and Marks and Spencer, have created a small secluded ‘sensory’ garden. The footpath that runs through this small garden comes out behind the church of St Thomas at the bottom of Windermere Road.
The park is now managed by South Lakeland District Council.
Photos by Matthew Emmott.
Go to Menu :