Kendal – Kendal Bank
9 Highgate, LA9 4DA. Tel 0845 755 5555
Kendal’s first banks, the Kendal Bank of Maude, Wilson and Crewdson in Stramongate and Wakefield’s Bank in Stricklandgate both opened on 1st January 1788.
Amalgamating in 1840, they erected this building in 1873, the alleyway to the south becoming the New Bank Yard.
The firm merged with the bank of Liverpool which became Martins Bank in 1928 and Barclays Bank in 1969.
Photos by Matthew Emmott.
Go to Menu :