Kendal Dun Horse Public House
Location : Kendal
Grid Ref SD 517928
5 Stramongate, LA9 4BH. Tel – 01539 728 190
Just like the Mason’s Arms, the Dun Horse doesn’t have a front door, but is entered down a yard to the side of the building. A map of Kendal dated 1611, clearly shows a building on the site, but doesn’t name it. A later map of 1787 also shows buildings on the site of the inn, but once again, there’s no specific mention of an inn. It’s not until 1833, that town maps show buildings on the site, and name them as the Dun Horse Inn.
Prior to the map of 1833, the earliest reference to the inn, is in a town listing of 1829, which notes George Clark as the innkeeper. His wife, Jane joined him as landlady in 1830, and together the served until 1834.
The inn is a huge building, stretching from Stramongate, right down to the side of New Road. The Dun Horse yard, accessed either through the yard at the side of the old Bellingham town house now occupied by Henry Roberts Book shop, or from New Road, is virtually as it was in the 1800’s.
The letters J.A. can still be seen on the lead spout head, and refer to John Archer, a past landlord.
- 1849, Thomas Bradley became landlord.
- 1866, his wife, succeeded him as landlady.
- 1869, John Ward landlord. He stayed for 23 years.
Records from around 1892, state that Scott and Son of Skipton were the owners, and that Septimus Longmire was the innkeeper. The inn at this time, provided three drinking rooms, five bedrooms, a large dining room with seating for 67 customers and stabling for 14 horses.
Kendal brewers Whitwell and Mark, took over the inn sometime between 1904-1906. Applications for changes were filed by the owners in 1935, to replace the stables with a tea room and service area. The tea room survives to this day, although not currently occupied.
Words and photos by Matthew Emmott.
Website – www.thedunhorse.co.uk
Go to Menu :