Kendal – Old Brewery House
118 Highgate, LA9 4HE. Phone: 0870 770 5892.
The Old Brewery House was originally a town house built in 1757 for Daniel Wilson and Elizabeth Crowle. This attractive Georgian townhouse in the centre of Kendal is now a Youth Hostel, and forms part of the Brewery Arts complex.
Highgate’s first Brewery was licensed in 1758 on or near the site of the town house of the Wilsons of Dallam Tower. Its first owner was John Whitwell, whose family lived nearby at 122 Highgate for many years. The business prospered, was taken over by William Mark, and in 1858, a new brewery was built in the gardens of the Wilson house. The brewery was takeon over by Vaux Breweries of Sunderland in the late 1940s, and closed in 1968.
Photos by Matthew Emmott.
See Kendal YHA.
Go to Menu :