Ireleth & Askam – St Peter’s Church
St Peter’s Church was dedicated on St Peter’s Day, 29th June 1865. It was built partly with the profits from the iron mines and is known locally as ‘The Iron Church’. It is a simple structure, with a small bell tower and a South porch, and stands high above the villages of Askam and Ireleth, overlooking the Duddon Estuary and the Irish Sea.
Askham is a village which grew rapidly in the mid 19th Century when the iron mines and iron works opened. It has a beach which is famous for its flora and the rare natterjack toad. Ireleth, a village on the banks of the River Duddon, is an ancient settlement mentioned in the Domesday Book in AD1060.
The East window is of St Peter, Christ in Majesty and the Blessed Virgin Mary, by Shrigley and Hunt.
Go to Menu :