Location : Penrith – Grid Ref : NY 513298
The imposing ruins of Penrith Castle have an intriguing history. It was begun in 1399, when William Strickland, later to become Bishop of Carlisle and Archbishop of Canterbury, added a stone wall to an earlier pele tower, primarily as a defence against Scottish raids. The castle was improved and added to over the next 70 years, becoming a royal fortress for Richard, Duke of Gloucester before he became King Richard III in 1483. The ruins that can be seen today date from about that time.
The striking sandstone remains of the ‘Castle of the Kings’ is situated in the pleasant surrounding of Castle Park, on the southern edge of Penrith. The Castle is accessed via a wooden footbridge that spans the Castle’s moat.
The castle is in the care of English Heritage