Grid Reference : NY 363304
The Parish of Mungrisdale, set in the northern fells of the Lake District, is made up of eight hamlets – Mungrisdale, Bowscale, Mosedale, Heggle Lane, Haltcliffe Bridge, Hutton Roof, Murrah and Berrier. It is overlooked by the imposing fells of Blencathra, Bowscale and Carrock.
St Kentigern’s Church in Mungrisdale is a small church with a simple interior. It contains some interesting features, including the three decker pulpit. The East window has clear glass, looking out onto the fells.
Mosedale is a peaceful and unspoilt hamlet at the foot of Carrock Fell (2172′). It gives access to the delightful Caldew Valley with its attractive river, pools and falls. All the ‘Back O Skidda’ fells – Bannerdale Crags, Blencathra, Bowscale, Great Calva, High Pike, Skiddaw etc – are within walking distance.
Mosedale has a Quaker meeting house dating from 1702, with sandstone columns and panelling. It is open to visitors during the summer months.
On nearby Carrock Fell are the remains of an oval shaped Celtic hillfort, the largest in Cumbria. A few of the stones are still in place. It is thought the Romans destroyed it.
From Bowscale there is a short walk up Bowscale Fell to Bowscale Tarn – a popular tourist attraction in Victorian times, with visitors being brought by pony to observe its wild and moody setting. It is a classic corrie tarn, set in a north-facing amphitheatre of crags which receive little direct sun, which gives the place its wild, moody atmosphere. It is famous for its legend about two ‘immortal’ fish, and is 56′ deep.
Accommodation Links :
- Mosedale End Farm – traditional working farm 4* B&B and Glamping pod. Approx 1.4 miles