Lowther – St Michael’s Church
St Michael’s Church stands within an extensive Churchyard within Lowther park and in the shadow of the ruined Lowther Castle. A spectacular location which overlooks the River Lowther and commands fine views over forest and fell. From ‘hog-back’ Saxon burial stones unearthed in the Churchyard, it is clear that Christian worship has continued on this site for some 1000 years. Todays building dates from 1686 when the walls of the 13th Century Church were pulled down and rebuilt. There are also 18th and 19th Century additions.
Inside the Church are various memorials to members of the Lowther family. Hidden away behind the organ is a fine statue of Sir John Lowther who died in 1700, reclining life size gazing at the coronet he holds in his hand. There are also busts of his grandfather and great-grandfather.
In the churchyard is the Mausoleum of William the second Earl, who died in 1844. Inside there is a statue of him sitting in gloomy isolation.
Aerial photos by Simon Ledingham
Go to Menu :