The historic home of Lord & Lady Inglewood, Hutton-in-the-Forest is a beautiful country house on the north eastern edge of the Lake District. It is set in woodlands and extensive gardens that have evolved over more than three centuries. Both the house and the gardens are open to the public.
It is surrounded by magnificent woodland of the medieval forest of Inglewood. Legend has it that Hutton-in-the-Forest is the Green Knight’s castle in the Arthurian tale of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight.
Originally a medieval stronghold with a pele tower, succeeding generations have altered and added to the house, and the outside and inside show a wide variety of architectural and decorative styles from the 17th century to the present day.
Anthony Salvin was responsible for the work done between 1860 and 1880, adding the large south and east wings, and the interior of the original house. The interior decoration is something of a showpiece, as it was done by William Morris, a friend of the family.
The house contains fine collections of furniture, ceramics, tapestry and portraits.
The gardens contain some excellent tree specimens, including a 128 feet high Wellingtonia, and a large collection of herbaceous plants.
Hutton-in-the-Forest is a superb venue for a varied season of events open to the public, running from May to September, including country pursuits, plants fairs, cultural and creative arts.
See more Photos of Hutton-in-the-Forest
The Cloisters Tea Room is open from 10.00 to 16.30 when the House is open, serving home made light lunches, sandwiches and teas.
2020 Opening Hours – 11.30am – 4pm Wednesdays, Thursdays, Sundays and Bank Holiday Mondays
1 April – 11 October
2020 Admission –
House and Gardens: Adults £11.50, Children free
Gardens only: Adults £7.00, Children free
Dogs are very welcome on leads
Penrith, Cumbria. CA11 9TH on the B5305 between Penrith and Wigton.
Tel: 017684 84449, Fax 017684 84571 / mail : [email protected]-in-the-forest.co.uk
- Houses & Gardens to Visit
- Places to Visit
- Pele Towers
- Anthony Salvin
- Reivers Trail
- William Morris
- East Lakes Area of Cumbria Menu
Grid Ref : NY 460358