This pele tower, with walls seven feet thick and 66 feet high was built in the 14th century for protection against the Scots. Marauding was dying out in the 17th century, and the castle was made more habitable by the fifth Lord Dacre, who added the large windows.
When the Earl died in 1715, his possessions were sold off. The castle was bought by Edward Hasell of Dalemain and it remains part of the Hasell estate. After careful renovation it has now become a comfortable and extremely desirable residence.
A booklet published by Dalemain gives more information.
Aerial photos by Simon Ledingham