The historic home of the Brougham family fell into ruins in the 1930’s. It was rescued from its dilapidation in 1985 and one of the largest country house restoration programs in the country is now underway. A range of craft workshops, a tea room and a gift shop have been established within the impressive outer walls.
The house had been repaired in the 17th Century by Lady Anne Clifford, and then became the home of her agent, John Bird. In 1726, it was repossessed and extended by Commissioner John Brougham of Scales Hall, whose great grandson, Henry Peter, became Lord Chancellor of England.
St Wilfred’s Chapel of Ease is beside the hall, and connected by a small bridge over the road.
Related links :
- www.broughamhall.co.uk read about the buildings, and the craft workshops now located there.