Askham – St Peter’s Church
Records show that a Church dedicated to St Kentigern existed in 1240, and as far as is known stood until 1832. Sir Robert Smirke who was at the time working on the design for Lowther Castle, also designed the present church building – the foundation stone of which was laid on 28th June 1832.
Internally the Church is simple and unadorned whilst being light and airy. The quality of light is achieved by the uniquely curious design of the windows. These are made of individual leaded diamond panes in blown glass, each being set at an angle so that the available light from outside is ‘caught’ at any daylight hour.
The South Transept, which was originally the Sandford family burial chapel (1225), was rebuilt on the ground plan of the old church. In 1950 the Sandford Chapel was dedicated as a Baptistry, containing the 17th Century font from the old church.
The Church is now a grade II listed building.
Aerial photos by Simon Ledingham.
Go to Menu :