King Edward VII Monument
Location : Grange Village – Grid Ref : NY 258167
When King Edward VII died in 1910, his sister Princess Louise, President of the National Trust, determined to purchase the view-point of Grange Fell in Borrowdale, and make it, through the National Trust, a gift to the public in memory of the late King.
Public subscription soon raised the necessary funds, and Grange Fell was purchased, an area which included Bowderstone Cottage, and the well known tourist attraction, The Bowder Stone.
The inscription on the monument reads :
In loving memory of
King Edward VII
Grange Fell is dedicated by his sister
as a sanctuary of rest and peace.
Here may all beings gather strength
Find in scenes of beautiful nature a cause
For gratitude and love to God giving them
Courage and vigour to carry on his will
The monument can be reached by a public footpath. There is a magnificent view of Grange and Derwentwater from the top.
Eight years earlier Princess Louise had performed the opening ceremony at Brandlehow Wood, the National Trust’s first aquisition in the Lake District.
Related Links :