Foraging in the Lake District & Cumbria
This is a new page that we’re adding to as we go along this year. If you have something special that you think we should include on this page please get in touch with us.
Guided Wild Food Forage Walks
We are definitely going to go along on one of these walks this summer! Having walked for many years in these beautiful areas we are very much looking forwards to finally being able to distinguish what we can and cannot forage and, not least, the practice of responsible foraging.
Mark Williams of Galloway Wild Foods is a full-time, fully insured wild food expert and has now extended his field of operation south of the Scottish border to the Lakes & Cumbria with guided wild food foraging walks in some of the loveliest parts of the South, North and Western Lakes.
Walks are generally 1 and a half to 2 miles on good ground, over around 2 and a half hours, including an al fresco cook-in with your professional foraging tutor. Covering – finding, identification, poisonous lookalikes, mindful harvesting, expert tips, folklore/traditional uses, modern gourmet/medicinal uses, nutrition, processing, recipes, cooking tips.
Walks scheduled for this Summer & Autumn
- 22nd July 2014 – Keswick Guided Wild Food Forage
- 23rd July 2014 – Grizedale Guided Wild Food Forage
- 6th August 2014 – Cockermouth Guided Wild Food Forage
- 7th August 2014 – Maryport Guided Wild Food Forage
- 20th August 2014 – Grizedale Guided Wild Food Forage
- 21st August 2014 – Whinlatter Forest Guided Fungi Foray
- 13th September 2014 – Grizedale Guided Fungi Forage
- 14th September 2014 – Whinlatter Forest Guided Fungi Foray