Grid Ref : NY 548397
The railway station of Lazonby and Kirkoswald is conveniently situated for Lazonby, but Kirkoswald is about a mile to the east. Once this was one of the busiest goods stations on the line, dominated by livestock traffic. Sheep were brought from Scotland, rabbits were sent to Yorkshire, and fish from the River Eden were sent to London in special boxes.
The goods shed and main station building have now been taken over by the thriving bakery business – Bells of Lazonby.
The village has a very fine Church – St Nicholas by Anthony Salvin, built in 1863.
Between Lazonby and Kirkoswald, a fine sandstone Bridge crosses the River Eden. A small car park nearby gives access to one of the Eden Benchmarks – ‘Cypher Piece’ by Frances Pelly.
Related links :