Kirkby Stephen East Heritage Centre
Location : Kirkby Stephen Grid Ref : NY 769075
The Stainmore Railway Company is a volunteer run non-profit company who’s aims include restoring the former Kirkby Stephen East Railway Station and developing the site as a Heritage Centre and working railway representing the early 1950’s.
Kirkby Stephen East Railway Station formed a key junction with the routes westwards to Appleby/Penrith and to Tebay and eastwards via Stainmore Summit and Barnard Castle to Darlington.
The South Durham & Lancashire Union Railway opened a single line between Barnard Castle and Tebay in 1861. It was taken over by the Stockton & Darlington Railway in 1863 and later the same year was absorbed by the NER. The line closed to all traffic in 1962.
In 1996, the building and site were purchased by Stainmore Properties Ltd (SPL) for use as the eastern terminus of a proposed preserved railway from Appleby East. The Heritage Centre opened to the general public at Easter 2009 and August 2011 saw passenger trains return to the East station after an absence of almost 50 years.
The station originally consisted of an island platform having Waiting Rooms, Booking Hall and Office etc, with separate Darlington and Penrith / Tebay platforms both with separate overall roofs (166 ft long). The site also boasted an engine shed with turntable and extensive sidings. At one time, a carriage shed also existed alongside the station.
This was subsequently removed in the 1930’s and, in the 1950’s, the roof over the Penrith / Tebay platform was also dismantled.
Related Links :
- Facebook – Photos of the Stainmore 150 special event – 27-29th August 2011
- Stainmore Railway Company at Kirkby Stephen East
- Facebook – Stainmore Railway Company
- Disused Stations – Kirkby Stephen East
- The Northern Viaduct Trust
- The Eden Valley Railway trust
- Belah Viaduct
- The Eden Valley and Stainmore Railway – History
- The Stainmore Railway – The South Durham & Lancashire Union Railway
Go to Menu :