Crosby Ravensworth – St Lawrence’s Church
Location Crosby Ravensworth
Grid Ref NY 622148
Long before the first church was established, early believers congregated around wooded or stone crosses for worship. In the Churchyard of Crosby Ravensworth is a 7th Century cross shaft. St Lawrence’s Church has been called a Cathedral in miniature, and has a lovely peaceful setting beside the Dalebanks Beck.
The present building contains work of various architectural periods, the oldest dating from about 1120. This is a very large Church for a small village. The lower part of the tower is 15th Century, while the top is a 19th Century addition. In 1809-11 restoration work was done by Sir Robert Smirke who was working on nearby Lowther Castle. He rebuilt parts of the Church, including the South porch front, and the south priests doorway, both fancy gothic. There is a font dated 1662, many stained glass windows worth studying a North and South transept, with interesting stone carving, and a carved reredos with at its centre ‘The Last Supper’ in the style of Leonardo da Vinci.
There are several interesting tombstones in the graveyard, including that of Henry Morris, president of the Cyclists Touring Club.
Photos by Simon Ledingham and Julian Thurgood.
Related Links :
Go to Menu :
- Eden Valley and North Pennines Area Menu
- Eden Valley and North Pennines Churches
- Ancient Crosses
- Sir Robert Smirke