Appleby – St Anne’s Hospital
St Anne’s Hospital was founded by Lady Anne Clifford, in 1651. In Lady Anne’s time, there were many itinerant beggars, and her concern for those who were old women in dire need led her to build the alms-houses, the Hospital of St Anne, which is still in use today.
The alms-houses are situated at the high end of Boroughgate, in Appleby, near to the entrance to the Castle.
Aerial photo by Simon Ledingham.
Related Links :
Go to Menu :