Date(s) - 16/11/2019
Category(ies) Cumbria for Kids
Ambleside Christmas Lights & Firework Display 2019
A full day of Christmas themed family fun around Ambleside and Windermere lake.
Starting at 10 am with the Grand Christmas Fair to top up your Christmas shopping and culminating in the Firework Display at 5.30 pm, it’s an action packed day with something for everyone.
There’s entertainment from street performers, including live music, at the Market Cross and Market Place in the town centre, from noon onwards.
Two cruises, provided by Windermere Lake Cruises, depart from Waterhead Pier to search for Father Christmas. With entertainment on the boats for the children with the Snow Queen and attendants.
2019 order of events
- 10 am to 12 pm Grand Christmas Fair in aid of Cancer Care at the Kelsick Centre, St.Mary’s Lane, LA22 9DG. Coffee and home made biscuits £1.
- 10.30 am The first Steamer ready for boarding. Departing from Waterhead Pier at 11 am to search for Father Christmas in the morning mists on the lake. Returns at 12.30 pm. All tickets £12.50.
- 12 pm Market Cross stalls open – charity and community market and live music from street entertainers.
- 12.30 pm The first Steamer returns to Waterhead with Santa on board
- 1.30 pm The second Steamer ready for boarding. Departing from Waterhead Pier at 2 pm to search for Father Christmas in the afternoon mists on the lake. Returns at 3.30 pm. All tickets £12.50.
- 3.30 pm Santa at Waterhead- After the afternoon cruise Father Christmas will wander along the promenade at Waterhead switching on the lights before boarding his sleigh which will take him to Ambleside to meet up with the lantern bearers.
- 4 pm Santa begins his sleigh ride to the town centre to meet up with the lantern bearers (time approximate).
- 4.30 pm (approx) Lantern procession departs from Gables Hotel, Compston Road, with Father Christmas switching on the lights around the village with his magic dust as he goes.
- 5.10 pm (approx) Lantern procession returns to the Gables Hotel.
- 5.30 pm – 5.45 pm (approx) Firework display in Rothay Park
Live Music in Ambleside
- In Market Place you will likely hear one of our visiting bands playing before they make their way to the assembly point for the Lantern Procession.
- In the Market Cross area you will be able to hear live music from a local band as you browse the charity and community stalls.
- In Compston Road there will be more music to entertain you during the afternoon.
- And of course, the Lantern Procession will give you chance to hear brass bands such as Charnock Richard Band and the amazing Kookaburra Drummers from nearby Staveley.
Tickets for the Cruises
From 1st October 2019, from the following outlets:
In person only: Stiles Coffee Bar, Compston Road, Ambleside, LA22 9DJ (half way between the putting green and Zeferelli’s Cinema on the left)
By post only: The Treasurer, Unit B, 101 Lake Road, Ambleside, LA22 0DB
More information – http://www.amblesidechristmaslights.co.uk
If you have found these What's On in the Lake District pages useful please help to support Visit Cumbria by Booking Your Accommodation through us. You pay the same lowest rate but sometimes we receive a small commission for this, which helps us to keep our 1,500+ free pages online and updated. Your support helps us to maintain our independence and impartiality and is very much appreciated. Thank you.