Derwent Isle House

Derwent Island House

Location : Keswick 
Derwent Island is the largest and most northerly of the four islands on Derwentwater. In medieval times it was owned by Fountains Abbey. It came into the King’s hands in 1539 and was sold in 1569 to the German miners of the Company of Mines Royal. After several other owners it passed to Joseph Pocklington in 1778, who built a large house on the island. Various other buildings were erected, including a Gothic chapel-boathouse and a Druid Circle.

image of Derwent Island House on Derwentwater, near Keswick in the Lake District
In 1844 it was sold to Henry Marshall, who employed architect Anthony Salvin who worked for his brother William at Patterdale Hall, and for another brother John at Castlerigg Manor, Keswick. Salvin added a large dining room wing, and a three storey tower. The interior was refitted in the classical style.

Later generations of Marshall often entertained at Derwent Island, as the house is now called, Sir Robert Hunter, Octavia Hill, and Canon Hardwicke Rawnsley, the three founders of The National Trust. David Marshall gave Derwent Isle to The National Trust in 1951.

The Island is now tenanted, and is not normally open to the public, though occasional trips are offered from the landing stage nearby to visit the island and house. For information about opening times see the National Trust handbook, or enquire at the Lakeside National Trust Shop.

Related Links :

Menu :

-Grid Ref : NY 261224