Uldale – St James’ Church
St James’ Church in Uldale dates from about 1150, although this is not very evident today. The nave was rebuilt about 1730, and the windows are typical of the mid 18th Century. The well-proportioned door at the west end is of the same period.
The East window of Gothic design by an unknown artist, and was probably inserted when the chancel was lengthened in 1837. The stained glass incorporates a tree with massed leaves, and a coat of arms.
There are a number of memorials to local people, including Thomas Tomlinson, Master of Uldale Grammer School in the 18th Century. He moved to North Carolina, where he died aged 71. He left sums of money to the poor and the school in Uldale.
The Church has a simple but pleasing appearance inside and out, and is in a very peaceful location beside the River Ellen looking to the Uldale Fells and Skiddaw.
There used to be another Church in Uldale, St John’s, built in 1868, but this became unsafe and was demolished in 1963.
Go to Menu :