Near the confluence of Newlands Beck, Scope Beck and Keskadale Beck, in the tiny hamlet of Littletown, is the small white-washed Church of Newlands. It was rebuilt in 1843 on the site of an earlier Church, and a gallery was added. In 1885 major refurbishments took place, but the 17th Century oak pulpit, reading desk and communion table were retained.
The lecturn, made of sandstone and wood, is an interesting feature.
In May 1826 Wordsworth and his daughter were on a walking trip from Rydal Mount, and the poet was so impressed with the appearance of the Church through the trees, that he wrote a poem ‘To May’. The poem is on display in the Church.
The tiny building adjoining the Church was the school, built by parishioners in 1887, and which finally closed in 1967. It has recently been restored.
The stained glass east window (below right) is ‘Christ the True Vine’, by Abbott and co. There is another window (below left) of St Michael in armour with a lion’s head on his shoulder, by Shrigley and Hunt, as a memorial to Thomas Johnson who died in France, October 1916.
Photos by Simon Ledingham except where shown otherwise.
Continuing along the narrow road towards Keswick, you pass through Littletown, beside Catbells. This area was made famous by Beatrix Potter as the home to Mrs Tiggy Winkle, the story of which was dedicated to Lucy Carr, daughter of the vicar of Newlands Church.
Go to Menu :