Borrowdale – St Andrew’s Church
St Andrew’s Church stands amongst superb scenery in the hamlet of Stonethwaite, below the Borrowdale Fells. It is a simple white rough-cast Church with a single bell, and a roof of local slate. Christian settlements are known to have existed here since AD 1200, when the monks of Furness Abbey and Fountains Abbey developed farming and mining interests in the area. The Church was consecrated in 1687, and has subsequently been restored and enlarged.
The Church contains the pulpit brought from Mardale Church in 1937, when the Haweswater Reservoir was built. The small three panel East window shows St Matthew, St Luke, and St Paul, Christ the Good Shepherd, and St Peter, St Mark and St John.
The Churchyard contains the gravestones of some colourful local characters, including Sarah Youdale, who lived until she was 100 years old, and apparently never left the valley. Another belongs to Bob Graham, the famous marathon fell runner. His tombstone records his greatest run – 42 peaks, 32000 feet, 130 miles in 23 hours and 39 minutes!
Sir Hugh Walpole sometimes worshipped at St Andrew’s, and mentioned it in his writings.
Aerial photo by Simon Ledingham.
Go to Menu :