Skelsmergh – St John’s Church
Location : Kendal
Grid Ref SD 529955
Skelsmergh church lays just off the A6, about two miles North of Kendal. The current church was built between 1869 and 1871 by Joseph Bintley, a Westmorland architect.
It would appear that before the Joseph Bintley church was built, there was a chapel on the site, dedicated to St John the Baptist. There was a well, also dedicated to St John with a stream running through the grounds.
The entrance to the church yard is a monument to those who died from the parish during the First World War.
The cemetery has been extended to a field across the road to accommodate more burials.
The three light East window is of the Crucifixion, by Heaton, Butler and Bayne. There are two stained glass windows in the nave.
Photos by Matthew Emmott.
Go to Menu :