Harrington – St Mary’s Church
Location : Harrington
Grid Ref : NX 994257
A fine Sandstone Church built on a foundation from 1177. The church has been rebuilt twice, firstly in 1634, and then early in the nineteenth century an increasing population led to a decision to enlarge it and a new chancel was built in 1825.
The church contains several windows by Atkinson Bros. Recent windows show much of the industrial and maritime heritage of the area, including images of the latest industry – wind farming.
In 1974 the old churchyard around the church was levelled, and transformed into a pleasant garden which is maintained by Allerdale District Council.