Great Asby – St Peter’s Church
Great Asby lies either side of Asby Gill which rises to the West of the village where can be found the entrance to Pate Hole, a cave that extends for about 1000yds. The gill itself is nearly always dry and only fills following very heavy rain.
The church of St. Peter which dominates the village was built in 1863 on the site of a previous church recorded in 1160.
Below the church is St. Helen’s well, which is actually a spring of fresh water that flows vigorously all year even during drought conditions.
Photos by Simon Ledingham.
Go to Menu :