Burton-in-Kendal – St James’ Church
The church, dedicated to St. James, is an ancient Gothic edifice, with a square tower and six bells. The interior consists of a chancel, nave, side aisles, and two chapels, or burial places, belonging to Dalton and Preston Halls.
The lower part of St James’ church tower is Norman, as are parts of the nave. The East window of North chapel is slightly later – of about 1300. The rest of the church is of 1844, when it was thoroughly repaired and restored.
The pulpit and reading desk are of oak, curiously carved, and dated 1607. On the chapel belonging to Preston Hall is the following inscription:- Gloria in excelsis, Deo J.F.F., 1634; and inside Dalton Hall chapel is the following:- Soli Deo Gloria, P.S. Fundator, 1628.
There are several stained glass windows by a variety of artists.
Photos by Matthew Emmott.
Related Links :
Go to Menu :