Lazonby and Kirkoswald Railway Station
Grid Ref NY 548398
The railway station of Lazonby and Kirkoswald is conveniently situated for Lazonby, but Kirkoswald is about a mile to the east. Once this was one of the busiest goods stations on the line, dominated by livestock traffic.
Sheep were brought from Scotland, rabbits were sent to Yorkshire, and fish from the River Eden were sent to London in special boxes.
The goods shed has now been taken over by the thriving bakery business – Bells of Lazonby.
Both villages have very fine, though different churches – in Lazonby is the Church of St Nicholas by Anthony Salvin in 1863. In Kirkoswald is the Norman Church of St Oswald.
Aerial photos by Simon Ledingham.
Go to Menu :