Kirkby Stephen Railway Station
Location Kirkby Stephen
Grid Ref NY 772067
The Midland Railway Station at Kirkby Stephen was built to the same specification as Settle and Appleby, with a large goods shed (now used by a road haulier!). The busy main road from Kendal to Brough passes beneath the railway, and is lined on one side by former railway worker’s cottages. The signal box, a 1950’s replacement, is still in use.
Nearby is Smardale viaduct, the highest on the line, under which used to pass the North East Railway line from Tebay to Darlington, which closed in 1962. Briefly visible is the old NER Smardale viaduct on this line, which is now part of the Smardale Gill Nature Reserve run by Cumbria Wildlife Trust.
About a mile and a half from Kirkby Stephen Station, and a hundred and fifty feet lower, is the town of Kirkby Stephen. The town is blessed with a good proportion of handsome buildings in a wide variety of architectural styles and periods. Many of the buildings are built from the local brockram stone, an unusual mixture of limestone and sandstone which has a rosy rue when the sun shines on it. There are quiet walks by the River Eden which can be reached by a quaint packhorse bridge – ‘Franks Bridge’.
There is free car parking at the station.
Go to Menu :