Armathwaite Railway Station
The original Armathwaite station building, now a private house, is a medium sized style station built from local red sandstone. The waiting shelter on the Southbound side of the track is a good example of a stone waiting shelter in traditional Midland style.
Armathwaite signal box closed in 1983, but in 1992 the Friends of the Settle-Carlisle Railway completed their first signal box restoration, where the box was of Midland Railway origin dated 1899. The Midland colour scheme was adopted, giving the signal box a rarity value.
The signal box is open to the public for accompanied tours on an occassional, informal basis – see link below for details.
There is a small free car park at the station on the northbound side, with a long walk to the south bound platform.
The village of Armathwaite is well below the level of the railway line. It contains Armathwaite Castle, a four story pele tower in a glorious position by the River Eden, adapted into a country house in 1752 by William Sanderson.
Aerial photo by Simon Ledingham.
Related Links :
Go to Menu :