Wetheral Priory Gatehouse
Grid Ref NY 468542
Wetheral Priory, a house of the Benedictine Order, and dedicated to the Holy Trinity and St Constantine, was founded in 1106 from its motherhouse of St Mary’s Abbey in York.
The Gatehouse is virtually the only standing remnant of much grander priory buildings, and was the main entry into the monastic outer court. Although it now stands alone, it would have been flanked in the Medieval period by other buildings, including a chapel, administrative offices and a school.
In its present form, the Gatehouse is of 15th Century date, and incorporates a pair of domestic chambers on two floors above the main entrance passage. These may have been the accommodation for one of the Officials of the Priory, or could have served as guest rooms for the shelter of visitors and travellers.
The building is in the care of English Heritage. Entry is free and it is open at all reasonable times.