Grid Ref : NY 476568
Warwick bridge is a pleasant village beside the River Eden, and on the main A69 Carlisle to Newcastle trunk road. This small village contains two rather grand houses.
Warwick Hall is neo-Georgian by Guy Elwes, built on the site of a previous house of 1828 that was destryoyed by fire in 1936. The stables are real Georgian. For many years this was the home of the Liddle family who owned much of the land in the vicinity, including the whole of the village of Warwick-on-Eden. Part of the property is now available for self catering accommodation.
Further along the river is Holme Eden Hall – built in 1837, and in the style of an early Tudor mansion. It was built as a calendar house – with 365 windows, 52 chimneys, 12 passageways, 7 entrances and 4 storeys. The house was built for a family of cotton barons, the Dixons, by the greatest northern architect of the day, John Dobson, who was responsible for the remodelling of Newcastle Upon Tyne.
Later it became an enclosed convent where grand Benedictine nuns prayed for the world.
Holme Eden was almost lost to dry rot, but has now being renovated by a development company and turned into 12 luxury apartments.
The bridge which gave the village its name has three segmental arches and was also built by Dobson of Newcastle in 1837. Dobson also built the nearby St Paul’s Church.