The Scots Dyke (or Dike) is an earthwork constructed in 1552, about 3½ miles in length, stretching roughly west from the River Esk, and still forming part of the border between England and Scotland.
Few Norman castles survived the 14th century but numerous tower houses and pele towers were built in the 15-16th centuries, when ‘Border Reivers’ were a constant menace, rustling livestock, pillaging, kidnapping and extorting protection money.
When eventually agreement was reached in 1551, the Debateable Land was divided between the two countries England and Scotland, and the boundary was defined by a shallow ditch with the earth thrown up on each side forming two parallel banks which became known as the Scot’s Dyke.
Aerial photos by Simon Ledingham.
Related Links about Reivers and Debateable Lands :
Go to Menu :