Location : Caldbeck
Grid Ref NY 326399
Caldbeck, Cumbria, CA7 8DR.
Priests Mill is an old watermill built by a rector of Caldbeck on the riverbank just below the Church where John Peel and the Beauty of Buttermere lie buried. It is in a secluded position, almost hidden from the road.
From 1702 to 1933 it was used as a stone-grinding cornmill. After that it was mainly used as a sawmill and joiner’s workshop until 1965, when floods caused the mill dam to be destroyed.
The award winning restoration of the mill was completed in 1986. The only machinery left is the 14ft diameter waterwheel which is now restored to working order. The inside wheel pit area displays a local collection of old rural implements.
Most of the early 18th Century stone building is used to house an attractive restaurant overlooking the river, and various craft and gift shops. There is a picnic area beside the river.
Go to Menu :