Aikton -St Andrew’s Church
The church of St Andrew stands high in a lovely rural setting, and is approached through a novel kissing gate made from two large slabs of stone, supported by a stone post. The light airy uncluttered church has an nave and chancel from the original 12th Century building, and is a fine piece of Norman architecture. The south aisle was added in 1869.
The roof timbers, exposed only in 1869, are a feature of the church. In the porch is a 13th Century coffin lid, with a sword carved in it, known as the de Morville grave slab. The square bowl of the font is late 12th Century, and each of the four sides of the font has a different design.
Aerial photo by Simon Ledingham.
Go to Menu :