Windermere – St Mary’s Church
St Mary’s church has a complicated history. Hardly anything remains of the original chapel of 1848. A south aisle with round arches was added in 1852, a north aisle with pointed arches (by Crowther) added in 1857, a nave west extension added in 1861, a north transept (by Crowther) added in 1871, and finally the chancel, the tower, and the west end by Paley and Austin added in 1881-2.
The church was restored after a fire in 1988.
There are many stained glass windows, all by different artists, including the five light East window – ‘The Sermon on the Mount’ by Burlison and Grylls.
The four light West window is of Gabriel, the Blessed Virgin Mary, and St Elizabeth. The detail above is the Coat of arms of Henry Crewdson Broadrick d.1950.
Go to Menu :