Stock Ghyll Force :
A short walk from the centre of Ambleside, behind the Salutation Hotel, leads to Stock Ghyll Force, a spectacular 70 foot waterfall which may be viewed safely from a railed viewpoint. In spring the area under the trees is a carpet of daffodils.
Stock Ghyll, a tributary of the River Rothay, tumbles down through a series of waterfalls to the centre of Ambleside, passing under the famous Bridge House.
Once there were 12 watermills driven by the power of Stock Ghyll and other local becks, producing bobbins, processed fabrics, paper and ground corn.
Although the mills are long closed, and most have now been demolished or converted, the view from the main street opposite Bridge House gives some impression of those industrial times. The mill nearest the road is the Old Corn Mill, on a site occupied by a mill since 1335. This was the old manorial mill, rebuilt in 1680 by the Braithwaite family of Ambleside Hall. The building was restored in the 1970’s for use as shops.
The leaflet ‘Town Trail – Ambleside Above Stock’ published by the Armitt Museum, describes a walk around the old area of the town, with information on the many old mills to be seen in this area.
Gallery of photos by Tony Richards:
Grid Ref : SD 385045