Location : Troutbeck
Holehird is a demonstration garden managed by the Lakeland Horticultural Society. It is within the grounds of the Holehird Estate, administered by Cumbria County Council. The house is leased as a nursing home. The house and the paths surrounding it are not open to the public, but the gardens that lie in front, though not part of the LHS gardens are open to visitors.
The garden of nearly five acres is set on a hillside, with some of the best views in Lakeland. It has a great diversity of plants that grow well in the soil of this area; there are alpine and heather beds and a collection of rhododendrons and azaleas. The walled garden is mostly herbaceous. There are the National collections of astilbes, polystichum ferns and hydrangeas. A Gardener’s garden.
The house you see today was designed by J.S. Crowther, architect of Manchester Cathedral, in 1865. The walled garden was built in 1870, and enlarged in 1898 by the renowned landscape architect Thomas Mawson to house vines, peach trees and a valuable collection of orchids. The house was owned by the Groves family from 1897 to 1945, when the estate was given to the people of Windermere. They also gave the bed of Windermere lake in 1939.
A booklet is available from the information office, describing the history of the house and garden, and giving a detailed description of a tour round the gardens.
Beatrix Potter stayed here with her parents in the summers of 1889 and 1895. She hunted fossils and fungi in the woods which she used to paint watercolour pictures from.
The Gardens are open to visitors every day, from dawn to dusk. Visitor Information is manned by volunteers from 10am to 4pm daily, from April to October.
Admission is by donation – suggested minimum of £5 per adult, with free entry for children.
Patterdale Rd, Windermere, LA23 1NP. Tel 015394 46008
On A592, 3/4 mile north of roundabout with A591.
Related Links : www.holehirdgardens.org.uk.
Grid Ref : NY 408007